Henry Little Compton

Male 1848 - 848

Personal Information    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Henry Little Compton 
    Died 08 Oct 848  Council Bluffs, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Born 04 Oct 1848  Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, IA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Person ID I54458  Early Latter-day Saints
    Last Modified 6 Aug 2009 

    Father Allen Compton,   b. 10 Jan 1809, , Wilson, Tennessee, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Aug 1854, Kanesville (Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 45 years) 
    Mother Mary Bettis,   b. Abt 1813 
    Married 13 Jan 1832  , Wilson, Tennessee, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Comments: Compton, Allen (Male) Allen was a private in Company "D".
      Allen was a memeber of the Mormon Battalion. On May 2, 1846, a mob numbering eighteen persons rode up to the door, called the father out and told him to get his family out of the house immediately. As soon as they were out, the mob fired the house; the Compton family were not allowed to take anything with them. They took passage on the steamer "St. Croix" and started to follow the saints who had preceded them in the great exodus. They arrived at Council Bluffs on the 3rd of July. Colonel Allen had come into the camp the day before to enlist five hundred men to go to Mexico, and Bro Compton became one of the number. He left his family camped in the corner of a worn fence with nothing to protect them from the scorching sun during the day, or the heavy dews at night, but a piece of wagon cover stretched on the fence. Two of his children were sick with argue. The Battalion marched from Fort Leavenworth, leaving the sick detachment-among whom was Bro. Compton -- to winter at pueblo. In the spring of 1847 Captain Higgins' Company was sent to Fort Laramie, Bro. Compton started back on August 24, arriving home on November 18th, 1847, and started back again for the Valley October 14, 1848, with the mail (that being the first mail that came to Utah), arriving in Salt Lake City November 30. The Indians were troublesome during the winter, and Bro. Compton was sent with Captain Scott to battle them near Provo. After the April conference Bro, Compton was asked to return to Council Bluffs, build some flat boats when he arrived there, and ferry the saints across the Missouri River, which he did, operating the Lone Tree Ferry in 1851-1852, the one known as Busha's Ferry in 1853. Then he moved up and ran the ferry at Winter Quarters.
    Family ID F5615  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart